Frank Fuller (known as F.F.) Avery was born in Indiana on February 24, 1862. He began working for the Indian School Service on September 22, 1890. Before moving to Washington State he and his wife, Anna Avery, whom he married in 1892, were employed by the Indian Service in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Crow Creek, North Dakota. From 1898 to 1916, Avery was connected with the Colville Indian Agency, first as superintendent of the Indian Boarding School at Fort Spokane until 1907, and then as inspector of Colville Agency Day Schools. He was once recommended by John McAdam Webster, the Superintendent of the Colville Indian Agency, to succeed him. Correspondence between Avery and Webster appears in the John McAdam Webster Papers in the Washington State University Library
The collection consists of 800 images selected from 894 5x7 inch glass negatives taken by Avery during the period 1901 to 1916 when Avery was assigned to the Colville Indian Agency. Among the major subjects included in his collection are photos of agency headquarters and personnel, including several pictures of John McAdam Webster, superintendent of the Colville Indian Agency, scenes of Eastern Washington, and family photos of Avery's wife Anna, and his two sons, Warren and Frank.
For more information about the Colville Reservation and secondary souces used in this database, see the Colville Indian Reservation Chronology and Avery Project Bibliography. The complete list of images in the Avery Collection is also available online.
Searching the Database:
Entering search terms in the "Search" box located at the top of the page will search across all of the database fields. The "Browse This Collection" link will display all items in an alphabetical order. Search results are displayed as a series of thumbnail images that may be browsed, both forward and backward. To view an item description, double click on the thumbnail or the textual link. Any highlighted text in the description below each full-size image is searchable; just click. Options to return to the Collection Home or the WSU Digital Collections are provided along the top banner.